Friday, August 13, 2010

Weeds and Seeds

Copywork
After reading HONS p. 512-513, I assigned as copywork a quote from p. 512 defining what a weed is.  Then, we headed out on this 102 degree windy day to look for seeds.  We decided to do the sock seed activity.  I slipped a worn out sock of Dad's over a shoe of each child.  Our destination was a dry meadow about 1/4 mile south of our house.  I encouraged the children to walk through the weeds and avoid the path made by the oilfield company.  The pumping unit was whirling away today.

Cleome
I had a specific destination in mind.  About a month ago, I discovered an area that was covered with what I believe to be wild Cleomes.  I once planted Cleomes in my flower bed so I'm pretty sure I am identifying them correctly.  I didn't know that they grew wild.  The area in which they are growing seems hardly suited for anything!  It is a recently bulldozed, shaly dry hill, yet there they were--hundreds of them!  When I found them, they were in bloom.  The seed pods were still green and sticky.  I was hoping to find the seed pods dry today.
Black-eyed Susan

Cleome seed pods and seeds
Our timing could not have been more perfect.  The seed pods were completely dry and most had begun to split open.  Claire excitedly collected dozens of pods into a ziplock bag.  We'll plant them in the spring.

We collected a Black-eyed Susan to press and place into our notebook.  We found many which were spent and dried from which we collected seeds. 


Silverleaf Nightshade
We also had collected two marble sized tomato looking seeds from a plant.  I noticed a plant containing the same types of seeds that also had a bloom, so we added it to our collection.  At home, we identified it as a Silverleaf Nightshade.  Apparently, those tiny tomatoes are poisonous, so I'm throwing them out before my little 4 year old mister gets any ideas.

Upon arriving home, (very hot and thirsty), I cut the socks off and we planted them in an old, broken hermit crab habitat.  I only had African Violet potting soil so I hope our tough, red clay inhabitants don't find their new accommodations to be too cushy.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent weeds and seeds entry! What a beautiful flower you found and I hope that it will grow for you come spring time. Let me know how your planted sock goes...we never could get this demonstration to work very well.

    Thanks so much for sharing your entry and don't forget to submit it to the OHC Blog Carnival:
    http://blogcarnival.com/bc/cprof_9182.html

    ReplyDelete